Recipe of the Week
Contributed by : Sowmya Chandrasekaran
1. Tamarind - small lemon sized
2. Turmeric powder - ½ tea spoon + ½ tea spoon
3. Salt - 1 ½ tea spoon (adjust to taste)
4. Asafetida - ¼ tea spoon
5. Sambar powder - 1 table spoon
6. Grated Coconut - 2 table spoon
7. Red Chilli - 2 + 4
8. Coriander seeds - 1 tea spoon
9. Cumin seeds - ½ tea spoon
10. Fenugreek seeds - ½ tea spoon + ¼ tea spoon
11. Water - 4 cup
12. Toor dal - ¾ cup
13. Curry leaves - 10
14. Coriander leaves - 1 table spoon
15. Mustard seeds - ½ tea spoon
16. Channa dal - 1 table spoon
17. Oil - 1 tea spoon + ½ tea spoon
18. Small onions (peeled) - 12 - 15
1. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup warm water for about 15 - 20 minutes
2. Pressure cook the Toor dal with ½ tea spoon turmeric powder and 2 cups of water
3. Mash the dal once well boiled and Keep aside
4. On a small pan, add 1 tea spoon oil and once hot add the channa dal and sauté it well
5. Once the channa dal changes color to light golden brown, add ½ tea spoon fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds and cook till well done
6. Add 4 red chilli to the above
7. Once well done (all fried well), remove from heat and keep aside to cool
8. Once the above mixture is cool, grind it along with grated coconut. Add water little by little. About ½ cup of water may be needed. The grinded mixture should be of the consistency of a thick paste. Keep aside the grinded mixture
9. Extract juice from the tamarind and keep aside.. Use more water if needed.
10. Take a medium size pan, add ½ tea spoon oil. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
11. Once the Mustard seeds crackle, add ¼ tea spoon fenugreek seeds and red chilli
12. Add the Onions and sauté well. Add curry leaves now.
13. Once the onions are well done, add the extracted tamarind juice
14. Once the above comes to a boil, add turmeric powder, salt, Asafetida
15. After 2 minutes, add the Sambar powder
16. Add ½ cup of water
17. After 5 minutes, add the mashed toor dal and stir well
18. After it comes to a boil, add the grinded mixture and garnish with coriander leaves.
19. Sambar is now ready to be served hot!!!
Do you have a recipe which you would like to share with others?
Add A Recipe