1 small cup Besan (gram flour)
2 cups khatti dahi ( sour curd)
½ tsp haldi powder, 21/2 tsp of salt or to taste
¾ red chilli poder (according to taste)
2tsbp Oil, ½ tsp of jeera (cumin seeds), ½ tsbp of methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
1 moti illaichi (black caedamons), 2 laung (cloves) and 3-4 dry red chillies
For Pakora (Dumplings)
1 cup besan (gram flour). 1/3 cup water- approx.
1 big onion (sliced) (onion is optional)
½” piece ginger- chopped finely, 2 green chillies- chopped finely
½ tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp garam masala, 1 tsp dhaniya powder
A pinch of baking powder, oil for frying
For Tadka (Tempering)
2 tsp of oil, ½ tsp of jeera (cumin seeds)
¼ tsp red chilli podwer, preferably red chilli flakes
Method (this method wil serve 4-6 people)
- Mix Khatti dahi, besan salt, haldi, red chilli powder and 5 ½ cups of water. Beat the mixture well so that no lump remains.
- In a big heavy- bottom pan, heat oil. Add jeera, methi daana, moti illachi and laung. Add whole, red chillies too. (keep the flame very low so that you don’t burn these ingredients)
- When jeera turns golden, add curd-water mixture. Stir continuously till it boils. After one good boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring continuously. To avoid kadhi from overflowing from the pan let the stirrer to remain in the pan. By keep the stirrer in the pan, the kadhi will not over flow or come out of the pan.
- After 15minutes, remove kadhi from the heat and keep it aside.
- To prepare pakoras, mix besan with water and make a thick paste. Beat well. Add all the other ingredients mentioned under the Pakore heading (you can avoid adding onioins and can make pakora without onions also). Beat well to get soft dropping batter.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop spoonful of batter. Deep fry the pakoras on medium heat till golden brown.
- Add pakora to the ready kadhi.
- At serving time transfer the hot kadhi to a serving dish.
- For the tadka (tempering), heat the oil in a small pan. Reduce flame and add jeera.
- When jeera turns golden, remove from the heat and red chilli. Pour on to the hot kadhi in the dish.
- Mix it lightly. Serve hot with boiled plain rice.
Note: Easy way to get red chilli flakes, take 2-3 red, dry chillies and crush them roughly with hands or in to a small grinder.
More recipes at http://www.blogmyinterests.blogspot.com