Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Edgewater Resort
The view from Best Western Edgewater Resort is about as postcard-worthy as it gets, with the mountainous backdrop of Lake Pend Oreille. And though the splendor of the surrounding landscape—which includes the rugged foothills of Schweitzer Mountain—beckons travelers to get out and explore, the eco-friendly hotel offers plenty to ensure time spent indoors is rejuvenating, including an indoor pool and rooms featuring the aforementioned view.
- Dine on site at the Trinity at City Beach restaurant, which features primo views of the lake, live music, and a full bar.
- Truly unwind after a long day with a dip in the hot tub, located right next to the heated pool.
- Stay in shape in the onsite fitness center.
- Recent accolades: TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence for 2018
- Post a picture of the surrounding vista thanks to the free high-speed internet access.
Sandpoint, Idaho: Lakeside Town in the Foothills of the Rockies
The northern Idaho town of Sandpoint is situated along the sparkling waters of Lake Pend Oreille and near the rugged peaks of Schweitzer Mountain. Scenic chairlift rides to the summit give passengers panoramic views that extend to Canada, Montana, and Washington. The chairlift also reaches high-altitude mountain-biking and hiking trails. One is the 2.5-mile Nature Trail, which wends past wildflowers and huckleberry bushes and offers the chance to spot deer and hawks.
Schweitzer Mountain boasts picturesque views of Lake Pend Oreille, the largest in Idaho. Visitors and locals flock to the lake each summer to cool off with watersports such as standup paddleboarding and jet skiing. Fishing is a big draw, too—kokanee salmon and rainbow trout make their homes in these glacier-fed waters.