Hotel at a Glance: Montvale Hotel
The Montvale Hotel dates back to 1899, when it opened as a mixed-use residential and commercial building. Now a member of Historic Hotels of America, the boutique hotel has 36 rooms that combine contemporary style with the landmark’s classic character.
- In-room amenities include microwaves and mini fridges; deluxe king rooms add jetted tubs.
- Upscale comfort food like a pan-roasted pork chop with gouda mac ‘n’ cheese fills the menu at Gilded Unicorn.
- Neat perk: Guests get 10% off at the hotel’s three restaurants.
- Recent award: TripAdvisor’s 2018 Certificate of Excellence
- Downtown Spokane: The hotel is across from Martin Woldson Theater at The Fox and a short walk from River Park Square mall’s restaurants and movie theater.
Spokane, Washington: Riverfront Park near the Rocky Mountains
Spokane is Washington’s second-largest city, but it manages to stay in touch with its green side. In fact, the town’s motto is “Near nature. Near perfect.” Throughout Spokane, you’ll find tons of parks and gardens as well as the Spokane River, which flows through downtown. And then there’s the thundering Spokane Falls at Riverfront Park. The 100-acre public green space also features a century-old carousel and an opera house. There’s a host of recreational opportunities just outside of Spokane as well. You can go boating and fishing on Lake Coeur d’Alene across the Idaho border (it’ll take you about an hour to get there), and the nearby Rocky Mountains offer unparalleled skiing, biking, and hiking.